Skinimalism: How to Master This Beauty Trend
What is Skinimalism?
Skinimalism is a huge trend that is all about letting your natural beauty shine through and feeling confident in your own skin. No more filters, no more tuning faces, no more applying layer after layer of makeup. Skinimalism embraces the natural, easy, #NoFilter confidence of skipping makeup and letting your skin speak for itself.
Skinimalism is simple but it takes confidence. However, being fully confident in your own skin is often easier said than done, so we’ve outlined some foolproof tips below.
Skinimalim Starts With a Solid Skin Care Routine
If you want your skin to look its best, give it what it needs. Skipping makeup does not mean skipping skin care. Nourished skin glows from within, so make sure you are diligently hitting every step in your skin care routine.
- Cleanse: At least twice a day, you should be washing your face with a gentle cleanser that cleans deep into your skin without stripping it of moisture. This will help preserve your skin’s microbiome and help keep your skin balanced. If you are feeling dry or itchy, try an intensive night mask to support your skin’s natural barrier
- Moisturize: If you want that radiant glow with your skinimalist look, you need to give your skin the moisture it craves. After cleansing, apply a serum or an oil. If you want to look refreshed and bright, make sure to nourish those under eyes with a hydrating eye cream. Once everything soaks in, apply a moisturizer and be sure to follow it all up with sunscreen. Protecting your skin from the sun’s UV rays is vital if you want to maximize your skinimalism.
- Exfoliate: When it comes to skinimalism, dull lifeless skin is not the look. If you want a flawless-looking complexion, you need to exfoliate. Two to three times a week, use a concentrated exfoliant to slough off dirt, grime, and dead skin cells. You can work your way up to exfoliating every day — just make sure to stick to chemical exfoliants. Scrubs are way too harsh and can cause micro-tears on your skin.
Try the “No-Makeup” Makeup Look
You can still embrace skinimalism without ditching makeup completely. The “no-makeup” makeup look is all about subtle enhancements that let your natural beauty take center stage. Without putting on a full face of makeup, you can make small touches to accentuate your best assets. For your first dive into skinimalism, focus on one of the three features below:
- Complexion: Skinimalism is all about the skin. The look features even, flawless-looking skin but, let’s be honest, nobody can be flawless all of the time. Pin-point areas where you want more coverage and lightly apply a creamy, hydrating concealer. For a subtle “glowing from within” effect, apply a touch of cream blush to your cheeks.
- Eyes: Everyone’s eyes are beautiful and unique. They can sparkle all on their own, but to give them a little boost, apply mascara to your upper lashes only. This will help your eyes look defined, lifted, and bright without looking dark or heavy. Skip any other shadows and liners to preserve that young, wide awake look.
- Lips: A bold lip is a classic, gorgeous, and fail-safe look in itself. The pop of color instantly helps brighten your face and looks chic without much effort. Whether you go for a creamy matte, bold red, or shiny nude, a powerful lip is a great finishing touch to your naturally beautiful skinimalist look.
Use “Functional Beauty” Hybrids
Like makeup, these 2-in-1 products instantly perfect your skin’s appearance. Unlike makeup, the results are beyond skin-deep. They also infuse your skin with nourishing ingredients to help improve the way it looks over time.
You can apply a tinted moisturizer to hydrate your skin while offering light coverage. The tint can help smooth out your complexion while the humectants sink deep into your skin, locking in moisture.
Or try a mascara that does more than simply adding definition to your lashes. Get all the benefits of normal mascara, while hydrating ingredients strengthen and condition your lashes. This will leave you with naturally longer, fuller, thicker-looking lashes even when you’re not wearing mascara!
If you want to accentuate your lips without adding color, use a lip plumper packed with Hyaluronic Acid and Oligopeptides designed to support the look of lip volume and smoothness. This gives you supple, full-looking lips long after the gloss is washed off.
You can even use an intensive spot treatment to target wrinkles and imperfections by filling in creases and instantly blurring the look of wrinkles without makeup. Simultaneously, wrinkle spot treatments are designed to nourish those creases for firmer, smoother, brighter-looking skin long term.
Pinpoint Your Biggest Concerns and Use a Targeted Treatment
There are also plenty of ultra-concentrated products formulated to work with your body’s natural processes to enhance your features without makeup. If you feel like your lashes are on the thin side, try using a lash serum that helps support stronger lashes and revitalizes hair at the root for denser, thicker, longer-looking eyelashes. You can look like you’re wearing mascara even when you’re not! Or maybe you struggle with dark spots or an uneven skin tone, try a brightening serum that minimizes the look of discoloration and hyperpigmentation while making dark spots less visible within seconds. These products work with your skin so that you look your best — bare-faced, without a stitch of makeup — and that’s what skinimalism is all about.
The Best Skinimalism Starts with a Healthy Mind and Body
Skin care and beauty products are not the only way to take care of your skin. Your skin is easily affected by stress and your environment. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! It won’t just keep your body running smoothly, it will show up in your skin too. The glow that is key for any skinimalist look starts with water. How much water you need varies with everyone but at least 64 oz a day is a good rule of thumb.
Get consistent sleep every night. Your body needs sleep to function and your body’s natural regeneration process occurs while you sleep. If you want the smooth, even-looking skin that comes with skinimalism, make sure you are getting enough sleep. That means 7-9 hours every night…even on weekends!
Keeping your stress levels in check is also a smart step in keeping your skin balanced. So indulge in your self care. You can draw a bubble bath, give yourself a facial, or meditate. Time you invest in yourself is time you are investing in your skin.
The Key to Skinimalism is Confidence
The point of skinimalism in the first place is to take care of your skin, embrace your natural beauty, and feel more confident each day. No one is perfect, but skinimalism doesn’t expect you to be. Show off what you love about yourself. Celebrate your natural features, because when you feel beautiful on the inside, it shines on the outside too.
If it still feels a bit daunting, it’s okay to start small. Pick one day to go makeup-free. See how it feels. It’s 100% possible to look and feel radiant, bright, and flawless without makeup, so what are you waiting for? It is time to practice some skinimalism.
Do you have any favorite skinimalism tips we missed? Comment below! Help the whole world embrace skinimalism with no filters, only confidence.